of 2

A fundamental change in Ivs-Inheritance

15 replies
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
Hey in my response to the "economy-thread" I suggested to make it more difficult to breed pokemon. I think I have a solution on how to improve the system and highten the difficulty at the same time without making it "unfair". Here is it how it goes:

Everything should stay the same, except: The child/egg can only inherit IVS from the parent, if the parent is the same pokemon. If the child/egg has two parents that share the same pokemon being, it can inherit IVS from both. However: If the child/egg has only one parent, that it shares a pokemon being with, it can only inherit IVS from the said parent. (For example: If you have two bulbasaur, the child can inherit IVS from both of them. But if you have a ditto/different pokemon and a female bulbasaur, the child (a bulbasaur) can only inherit IVS from the parent bulbasaur)

Currently breeding works as following: You put a pokemon with a 100% IVs Ditto, take the child-pokemon and put it into its parent place.

With my solution you would have to either: Put two pokemon of the same sort and hope for the best or more efficiently: Hunt the pokemon in order to look for IVS that you can introduce into your "gene-pool":
Not only would it make pokemon more precious, it would actively encourage players to go catch more pokemon, making the game more adventurelike. Rare pokemon would be more valuable since they would be harder to obtain, but isn t this exactly what we would like? Rare things to be valuable?

You can still put Ditto s to breed, but it would be more akin to cloning than evolution. I think that is more fitting considering what Ditto is.

So, what do you think? :o
Posted Jan 11, 19 · OP
Vote Points:
+712
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
I think that would be a horrible idea. Have you ever tried breeding with only one species before? Imagine having less than a 1/32 chance of making any progress every 37 minutes. Now imagine doing that up to 6 times for each individual species you're looking for. It would skyrocket the price of Battle Perfect Pokemon to all-time highs. You would always lose a battle if your wallet isn't big enough to buy a multi-million Pokedollar team.
Posted Jan 11, 19
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
Oh yes, it is time consuming if you do it that way. That being said, it won t be the only way to improve the IVS of the pokemon. The other way - as I said in my post - is to actively catch pokemon of the same kind in order to introduce new genes into the pool.

I can understand if you never heard of the non-ditto way as it isn t used at all I imagine. Let me explain this method.

Let s say you catch two bulbasaur. One has 31 Speed the other one has 31 Hp. You breed both until you get a bulbasaur with both 31 Speed and 31 Hp. Now you try to catch a bulbasaur with 31 Def. You breed it with the 31Speed/31HP one until you get a 31Speed/31Def/31Hp one. This goes on and on until you get a perfect one.

Now let me be clear. It will make it harder to breed pokemon. However - it will make obtaining those pokemon way more meaningful than simply putting 100% dittos into a ranch with a pokemon you desire. It will make the words "I breed pokemon x" actually mean something.

Edit:

I m by no means an expert in game design. That being said I understand that it is not only important to give players power, but also to make players earn them. If you play a rpg and it gives you the strongest armor/weapon in the beginning - where is the fun? The rpg-hero has to travel the world, gain experience, train and finally earn those weapons. Pixelmon currently gives you the strongest armor/weapon in the beginning.It doesn t need a lot of effort to put a 100% ditto into a ranch with a different pokemon. But actively catching pokemon, spending actual time in order to gain good pokemon would give you the opportunity to earn those.
Posted Jan 11, 19 · OP · Last edited Jan 11, 19 by Tr0ng
Delfard
Delfard @ Harmony
Vote Points:
+225
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
wrote:
Let s say you catch two bulbasaur. One has 31 Speed the other one has 31 Hp. You breed both until you get a bulbasaur with both 31 Speed and 31 Hp. Now you try to catch a bulbasaur with 31 Def. You breed it with the 31Speed/31HP one until you get a 31Speed/31Def/31Hp one. This goes on and on until you get a perfect one.
And then you realise just how hard it is to catch a pokemon with 31 in anything. It would require luck or would make IVs scrolls mandatory for breeding.
Posted Jan 11, 19 · Last edited Jan 11, 19 by Delfard
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
Not at all actually. Give it a try, you will be surprised how quick you will get 31 IVs pokemon.
Posted Jan 11, 19 · OP
Vote Points:
+712
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
Do you think getting a 100% Ditto is an easy endeavor? When I started out my breeding, all I had was one breedject from the /ah and a Dratini. I had to work through successes and failures to even come close to earning a Ditto and a trash-tier one at that. You don't 'start with the strongest armor/weapon in the beginning', you work towards it.
Posted Jan 11, 19
Vote Points:
+703
Uncommon Trainer
LEVEL 3
Untagged users
I too believe this is a bit of a foolish way to alter what's already been done on the server. In my opinion this would need a full server reset and removing scrolls to prove useful or highly increasing their rarity. So many people have already bred multiple BP pokemon and have them sitting in storage or just might be willing to sacrifice a scroll to get the pokemon with correct iv's they'd wanted due to the cost/time it'd take to get a new bp pokemon with this sort of breeding in play.

Edit: this would also only increase the amount of ditto x ditto breeding on the server imo.
Posted Jan 12, 19 · Last edited Jan 12, 19 by The_Kursed...
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
wrote:
Do you think getting a 100% Ditto is an easy endeavor? When I started out my breeding, all I had was one breedject from the /ah and a Dratini. I had to work through successes and failures to even come close to earning a Ditto and a trash-tier one at that. You don't 'start with the strongest armor/weapon in the beginning', you work towards it.

To be honest - yes! Yes I think it is. Nowdays even more so than ever. I assembled dittos before there were IVS-Scrolls. Nowdays with IVS-Scrolls, which go for around 1-1,2 Mil (for around forever), it is even easier. If you don t think I know what I m talking about - I wrote this guide: The art of breeding - how to grow power -> dating back to 2017 :d . Check it out if you didn t yet. Maybe you will learn a thing or two ;)

But whatever, this isn t even that important. I like you to take a look at what you said. You said "earning a ditto". You didn t say " I earned a dratinti" or " I earned a torchic". Why? Well, because you didn t. It was easy. You may have had trouble earning a ditto and you may deserve your ditto. But did you earn everyting else? Did you earn being able to perfect the other ~800 pokemon easily, because you earned a ditto? In my opinion you didn t. Now imagine how awesome it would be, if people could actually say: " I earned this scizor. Why? Because I roamed the fields, looking for it. Because I fought it, catched it, became it :d . "

I too believe this is a bit of a foolish way to alter what's already been done on the server. In my opinion this would need a full server reset and removing scrolls to prove useful or highly increasing their rarity. So many people have already bred multiple BP pokemon and have them sitting in storage

I admit, a fresh restart would help increase the impact of this change. That being said, there are 2 cycles to keep in mind.
1) The average lifespan of a player playing on this server - Dys said a average player played for 3 weeks. But even considering other players. I don t see a lot players remaining from last year (but I m glad that you re still here ;) ). Breeder would simply cycle out after some time.

(Then again: Their access to pokemon could be seen as price for loyalty, so no problem there)

But more importantly:

2) The pokemon game cycle - even if pokemon keep getting rotated. The new ones every game do not. My idea fully would apply to those first.

or just might be willing to sacrifice a scroll to get the pokemon with correct iv's they'd wanted due to the cost/time it'd take to get a new bp pokemon with this sort of breeding in play.

Yeah, that is fine. That would mean more money for Dys in case they decide to use the store. Demand for scrolls would go up and maybe some 200 mil stacks would have something to spend their money on *wink wink*

Edit: this would also only increase the amount of ditto x ditto breeding on the server imo.

DittoxDitto breeding is hilariously inefficient even today. The chance to get a specific pokemon is hilariously low and even if you get one - in most cases it doesn t have the right nature, the right ability nor the right moves. DittoxDitto breeding is a trap for newbies or a way to try to get High IVs dittos with spare dittos :d .

That being said - it wouldn t work anyway -> since the egg/child isn t a ditto in most cases, it wouldn t have a parent to inherit IVS from.
Posted Jan 12, 19 · OP · Last edited Jan 12, 19 by Tr0ng
Vote Points:
+9
Occasional Trainer
LEVEL 5
Untagged users
Tr0ng, I do not think you realize that a lot of these mechanics stem from the mainline games. Changing it up kind of defeats the purpose of it being a minecraft version of Pokemon if you go around changing a lot of these mechanics. Also, if you think about it, if IVs only came from the one parent if I am breeding with a ditto and that parent has perfect IVs, a destiny knot would defeat the purpose of having perfect IV dittos because of the parent only passing down the IVs. Any suggestion that is made that directly changes the mechanics from the mainline games such as breeding mechanics is going to be an automatic no from me dawg. The mod can add purely cosmetic changes and making certain things interesting such as being able to summon the creation trio, I am all for that. Making things unnecessarily difficult is not the way to go about boosting player's play time expectancy or fixing the economy. Besides, this would not be able to be done from a plugin since breeding is modside it would require the mod devs to change things up. But I would believe that the dev team would rather add new and interesting features to the mod rather than doing something rather unnecessary that completely changes the mainline pokemon mechanic of breeding.
1408208375_eaglepride15-signature.png
Posted Jan 12, 19 · Last edited Jan 12, 19 by eaglepride...
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
Tr0ng, I do not think you realize that a lot of these mechanics stem from the mainline games. Changing it up kind of defeats the purpose of it being a minecraft version of Pokemon if you go around changing a lot of these mechanics.

It is not possible to obtain a 100% Ditto in the main game. If you try to get 100% stuff in the pokemon games, you would have to do something more akin to what I was proposing. In a sense, the change would make pixelmon even more like the main game.
Also, if you think about it, if IVs only came from the one parent if I am breeding with a ditto and that parent has perfect IVs, a destiny knot would defeat the purpose of having perfect IV dittos because of the parent only passing down the IVs.

I m not sure I understand you, but I guess you think destiny knots would become useless? Well, the breeding mechanic would work the same as before: Without a destiny knot - 3 Ivs Slots - with a destiny knot - 5 Ivs slots.

Or maybe you think perfect IVs dittos would become useless? Yeah, that would be the case. You would still need them to pass down natures, but yeah! 100% Dittos would only be used to fight with them.

Again, I m not sure what you meant to say. Please explain =)
Any suggestion that is made that directly changes the mechanics from the mainline games such as breeding mechanics is going to be an automatic no from me dawg. The mod can add purely cosmetic changes and making certain things interesting such as being able to summon the creation trio, I am all for that.

There is tons of stuff that isn t like in the main games, lol. Lapras spawning randomly, pokemon tied to bioms, no real medals. Basically every command. Trainer who only fight you if you throw a ball at them. Competitive pokemon plattforms like pokemon showdown show the pokemon before the fight. Actual towns and dungeons. Riding on pokemon instead of the bike. Im sure I haven t mentioned half of the differences. In fact I would think there are more differences than similarities between pixelmon and pokemon, lol.

EDIT: Actual breeding is different in Pixelmon xD. I haven t played the most recent titles, but I don t know about breeding machines, that react to their environment. I don t mean to insult you, but that you haven t realized that kinda baffles me xD .

Making things unnecessarily difficult is not the way to go about boosting player's play time expectancy or fixing the economy.

At this point I would like to repeat my argument I mentioned before:

"I m by no means an expert in game design. That being said I understand that it is not only important to give players power, but also to make players earn them. If you play a rpg and it gives you the strongest armor/weapon in the beginning - where is the fun? The rpg-hero has to travel the world, gain experience, train and finally earn those weapons. Pixelmon currently gives you the strongest armor/weapon in the beginning.It doesn t need a lot of effort to put a 100% ditto into a ranch with a different pokemon. But actively catching pokemon, spending actual time in order to gain good pokemon would give you the opportunity to earn those. "
Besides, this would not be able to be done from a plugin since breeding is modside it would require the mod devs to change things up. But I would believe that the dev team would rather add new and interesting features to the mod rather than doing something rather unnecessary that completely changes the mainline pokemon mechanic of breeding.

I think I disproved your second point, which is why I will only concern myself with answering the first one. I m not entirely sure, but doesn t Dys partner with the actual mod team? Technically he should have enough say to change things like this.
Posted Jan 12, 19 · OP · Last edited Jan 12, 19 by Tr0ng
Page
of 2
Alert Pixelmon Harmony
play.PixelmonHarmony.com
55 / 360
Today's Record: 114 players (16 hours ago)
Weekly Record: 131 players (Mon at 0:00)
Monthly Record: 131 players (Mon at 0:00)
NoticeNotices