of 3

A possible economic issue(?)

26 replies
Vote Points:
+111
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
Adding a 2% tax on players who have 100mil+ would make it so every week they would lose 2mil which would encourage them to use their balance, or grind harder to keep their baltop position.
This could damage the traditional Pokecoin to USD exchange rate used for ranks and rarely poke edits, should a player seek to do so en masse.

Maybe some way to exchange pokecoin for voting points could be implemented to allow for players to use their money on shinifying pokemon, to incentivize doing it this way, shiny converter scrolls could be removed from the crates (except maybe some seasonal ones), which would encourage voting and give rich players a worthwhile cash vent, which also provides the players with a cosmetic feature that won't negatively affect gameplay.
Posted Jan 4, 19 · OP
Mod
Vote Points:
+239
Meager Trainer
LEVEL 4
Mod
Adding a 2% tax on players who have 100mil+ would make it so every week they would lose 2mil which would encourage them to use their balance, or grind harder to keep their baltop position.
This could damage the traditional Pokecoin to USD exchange rate used for ranks and rarely poke edits, should a player seek to do so en masse.

Maybe some way to exchange pokecoin for voting points could be implemented to allow for players to use their money on shinifying pokemon, to incentivize doing it this way, shiny converter scrolls could be removed from the crates (except maybe some seasonal ones), which would encourage voting and give rich players a worthwhile cash vent, which also provides the players with a cosmetic feature that won't negatively affect gameplay.

I think a tax is too realistic, personally. We come to Pixelmon to escape the stresses and whatnot of real life and that includes things such as taxes, especially when we'd get nothing as a result of them.

I'd be in favor of a cosmetics shop expansion instead of allowing VP to be purchasable.
As of current the only really worthwhile thing in the vote store that comes to mind is the shiny conversion and it's a good start but it's definitely limited in terms of influence on the economy.

The cosmetics shop could be expanded in terms of the variety within it. For instance, it could become the new sole source of shiny scrolls (not including the vote shop, have to have some incentive to vote plus an alternative harder but free method is always nice) since shiny status is purely cosmetic it would fit in fairly well at the general market price of 1m or so each give or take. It could be argued that it shouldn't be done because it would interfere with the player built economy of the scroll but seeing as it's purely cosmetic I see little to no real harm.
A previous suggestion I had here could also fit in with such an expansion, something along the lines of a "Special Form Scroll" to change Rapidash into rainbow Rapidash, Pyuku into pickle Pyuku and so on. another purely cosmetic item.

The more I think about it the more I think cosmetics may be the way to go because people love to stand out and show off, it can be pretty addictive too. Guild Wars 2 is something that comes to mind that pulls this off pretty well. Most of the premium currency items are costumes and various other purely cosmetic adjustments which the players absolutely eat up.
Posted Jan 4, 19 · Last edited Jan 6, 19 by [Mod] Delirax
[Admin] Lukeno94 a
Lukeno94 @ Harmony
Vote Points:
+1,057
Mythical Trainer
LEVEL 9
Admins
We're not ever going to start taking money from inactive players or taxing those with lots of money (which is just incredibly unfair to those who put effort in to make it - this isn't real life where there may be obligations attached to that wealth), that is not remotely a good idea - much like how we've never put any town upkeep costs in.

What we do need are more things to sink money into - but there's only so much we can do with Pixelmon as a whole.
Posted Jan 6, 19
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
Uuuuh, this one is interesting. Let me give some thoughts =D .
There is no innate problem with people sitting on a lot of money. It only turns into a problem if inflation pushes people out of being competitive. If it takes 15 hrs farming just to get a competitive team, new players might not want to do that. They might loose the motivation to play. The same logic applies to other stuff. If someone is a collector and he needs too much effort too reach his goal, he might not want to pursue that goal. However, if the initial post is right, deflation is the case. Accessibility is not the issue here.

But what is the real issue then? The real issue is the complete opposite, actually. It is too easy to gain everything you want. Money sitting around in piles is the result of having no demand. Those guys don t buy shit resulting in them not affecting the economy at all :d . But again, money sitting around in itself doesn t pose a problem.

What we really should be worry about is not piles of money, but something entirely different. The problem is "Long-Term-Motivation" . The fundamental problem is the lack of content. Lack of content stopps people from spending money/helps creating money piles. And even more important: Lack of content stopps people from playing long term :d .

So what kind of content do we need? It depends on what "crowd" we want to cater to:

Is pixelmon a collector? Introduce new pokemon or more likely: skins or entirely different collectibles.

Is pixelmon a battle sim? Improve battles -> make the current battle system smoother or introduce new shit like maybe 3o3 or stuff like that.

Is pixelmon a RPG? Introduce new interactions with the surroundings.

You get my point :3 .

We don t have a problem with inflation -> prices dont inflate. They deflate. We have a problem with content :d ,

EDIT: Although I think I have some really good points, I feel like I m missing something. I m not exactly sure what. Let me sleep this over and think about it.
Posted Jan 6, 19 · Last edited Jan 6, 19 by Tr0ng
List
Undo
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
Allright, let me elaborate on this answer. The initial post was about stability. The question then becomes one not about increasing inflation or deflation, but one about balance. What is necessary to create a stable system?

In my opinion you need a stable supply and a stable demand. For supply and demand to be stable, you need 3 or 4 things.

1) How to increase the demand
Once you buy a pokemon, you have it forever. The only way to increase demand, is a) to introduce a new "buyer" to the market or b) introduce new products.

2) How to decrease supply
Currently it is too easy to obtain pokemon. Make it harder to breed.

3) Inflation/Deflation
Inflation shouldn t be a problem at all. Payday is a natural source of inflation. If at some point inflation becomes a problem, just take a % tax on products in the auctionhouse. Again, sitting money is just a sign of lacking content, but on the other hand, has no effects on the economy whatsoever.

4) People entering the market/leaving the market shouldn t affect the economy
Well, if one can enter market, farm 10 hours and crash the market after that, the economy can t be stable or at least is easy to manipulate. You can prevent that by having a lot of people participating in the market and yes, inflation. If 10 hrs farming doesn t give you enough money to put a dent in the market, it can t be manipulated by 10 hrs of farming ;) .

Allright, one more post to wrap this whole things up :d . Stay tuned.
Posted Jan 7, 19
Vote Points:
+178
Sparse Trainer
LEVEL 7
Untagged users
Here are some actual suggestions.

Assuming Dys is right and people leave after 3 weeks, we can assume the following:

This guy hasn t even remotely collected all the "goods"/pokemon. If not being able to "collect" is an actual problem you might think about pokemon-balance patches. There are currently at least 60 viable pokemon. If that is not enough, you can buff pokemon in order to introduce them into the "viable" pokemon pool. BUT after 3 weeks there is no way you can collect 60 battle ready pokemon :d .

It is more likely that they don t enter the market at all. There are 3 phases of usual "pixelmon life" that the player has to undergo.

1) Exploration
2) Collecting
3) Endgame

I think pixelmon has the least problem with 2) collecting. There are vast amount of pokemon to collect. So here are my 2 cents for

1) Exploration
Bind certain pokemon to even narrower spaces and "dress" those places. Seeing the same old fauna and flora isn t really interesting long term. For example: Build a gigantic cave with a lakes in it - put on some dim lights and make them the only location, where lapras can spawn.

Decentralize item acquisition. Create a supermarket, but don t put everything in there. Create mine shafts where you can buy ore or workshops, where you can buy/create pokeballs.

(Once you create those functional spaces, those spaces around them are natural places for people wanting to build on. If you feel funny, you can tax claiming those spaces. If they can t pay the tax, open it for others to claim :d . Also: Since people gather around those spaces, cosmectics etc are more desirable since people are more likely to see each other)

3) Endgame
The biggest concern for the endgame is replayability. What are the replayable contents for pixelmon? Pokefights and building. You can introduce things like coop-raids, but once those are done, you need to introduce new stuff again. Pokefights and building stuff, the former more so than the latter, are essential for the late game.

Pokefights obviously make more fun with more people. In order for that to happen you need to improve 1). You can make them more interesting with balance patches, but if nothing changed since I left, you need those fights to work in the first place :d .

If that problem is solved however, you need stuff like match making, ladders or tournaments -> which is why I think those weekly tournaments are great for endgame stuff.

Now Luke/Dys, time to tell me what is possible, what is unrealistic and what you don t agree with :3.

LAST EDIT:
The features I m asking for are:
1) Disable the spawn of pokemon and narrowing the spawning on certain locations (should already be possible)
2) Ability to build on certain indestructible blocks/ certain admin claimed spaces
3) everything related to poke-fights
4) Maybe tax for claimable areas? Maybe tax on auction house transactions

The effort builder/admins etc need to do:
Copypaste/Create/Plan some interesting environments to explore/build a base on
Posted Jan 7, 19 · Last edited Jan 7, 19 by Tr0ng
Vote Points:
+111
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
Perhaps we could also employ players to create maps or map ideas. By adjusting the build contest, we could improve the rewards and extend the time limit. Maybe provide resources or a creative world for this too.
Posted Jan 12, 19 · OP
Page
of 3
Alert Pixelmon Harmony
play.PixelmonHarmony.com
39 / 360
Today's Record: 83 players (17 hours ago)
Weekly Record: 94 players (Thu at 1:00)
Monthly Record: 134 players (Feb 3, 19)
NoticeNotices