A possible economic issue(?)

26 replies
Owner
Vote Points:
+275
Legendary Trainer
LEVEL 10
Admins
We've had these same issues for years now, everything just cycles through and eventually re-stabilizes.
How? The average player stays on an MC server for 3 weeks. So, every 3 weeks essentially a large chunk of Pokemon, items, and whatnot come out of circulation. The server essentially fixes itself every 30 days, but often times takes a bit more time for noticeable effects, say 60 days.
There is an exception to this rule- Holidays and Summer break, and that's where we are now. Those old players that have quit months ago, come back because they're out of school. So an influx of more goods are re-introduced to the market.

While we certainly don't have the best economy, we're doing the best we can with what we have currently. As stated above, the major issue is the long term players that are sitting on hundreds of millions in cash. While I am not saying they are at fault, that's where the issue resides. Again, they are in no way at fault- it's just they don't have anything to spend that cash on. We've had meetings on this in the past but we can't figure out what someone would be willing to pay 100+ million for. It's a tough situation. Could we potentially offer commands like /fly for large chunks of money? Yes, but that wouldn't work seeing as those players are often times Arceus holders.

One way some of the other larger servers handle such market inflation is the held items. Many have all recipes disabled, so the only way to obtain them is what they set in place- whether that be in shop for crazy amounts, or crate only and let the players set the prices in auctions. Seeing as there are hundreds of held items that are easily obtainable, those hundreds of items could become rare goods and all sell for 50k - 200k. I preferred it this way but when we held a vote on it, the majority of votes said to keep recipes.

We just need some new and unique ideas to keep those long time players spending more of their in-game cash.
Basically the market recovers from everything that we tossed in crates after about 60 days, and then the cycle repeats. Unfortunately, when we nerf crates, we just don't make any money, and money is what keeps us up and going realistically. I not only am paying for server development, but also the mod. It was a different story back in the day, but now we basically have part ownership in the mod and that comes with it's own set of costs to keep up.

One idea that comes to mind is potentially adding Totem Pokemon with unique particle effects and some extra buffs like in the game, and allow them to be catchable. Those could sell for a massive chunk if we kept the spawn rates low, and don't add them to crates. Then there would be the balancing issue- some may complain if we allow those OP pokemon to participate in tournaments, even if their stats were like 20% higher than the standard version of said Pokemon. If they can't participate in tourneys, then what's the point in owning them.
Balancing is very difficult and I'd like to say for what we have at our disposal, we're doing decent. Obviously not amazing, but decent. We're all for ideas we just need a home runner idea and we'll be substantially better going forward
747238_1.gif
Founder of PixelmonHarmony.com

Contact Me
Support | Personal | Business
Posted Dec 29, 18 · Last edited Dec 29, 18 by [Owner] Dysthymic
List
Undo
Vote Points:
+712
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
Perhaps instead of one long goal that gives a huge reward at the end, how about there's a daily goal that affects all players who logged in before it was finished? This daily goal could have smaller, quicker goals along the way to help out with the length problem, too.
For an example, one daily server quest could be:
Catch 500 Pokemon
Defeat 1,000 Wild Pokemon
(Checkpoint, free stack of Ultra Balls for everyone)
Breed 300 Pokemon
Buy 2,000,000 PokeDollars worth of goods on the Auction House
(Checkpoint, +1 Breeder Scroll for everyone OR x2 breeding speed for the rest of the day)
Catch 10 Shinies
Catch 3 Legendaries
(Final reward, two random shiny legendaries spawn five minutes later)
Posted Dec 31, 18
Vote Points:
+111
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
Perhaps the coins gained from payday could be lowered by maybe 15-20% that could help make /warp shop more viable and help reduce the severity of the inflation.

Maybe the pokecoin ranks could provide special services to players that have more of a focus on the minecraft aspects of the server than the pixelmon aspects, I.E. they could come with kits that provide building materials and maybe pixelmon decoration blocks, and maybe the later ranks could get a random shrine weekly for decoration or something. Maybe pokecoin ranks could give you access to a Creative server where you can build/test things in creative, then use schematica to port the build over into your town. You could further incentivise this by allowing players to create their own NPCs to battle so that they can test their teams, and furthermore perhaps allow them to create custom teams to test before they put the work in to acquiring that team on the real Harmony server. The creative server would of course not be linked to the main server in terms of pokemon/inventory.
Posted Jan 1, 19 · OP
Vote Points:
+356
New Trainer
LEVEL 1
Untagged users
Perhaps the coins gained from payday could be lowered by maybe 15-20% that could help make /warp shop more viable and help reduce the severity of the inflation.

It takes FOREVER to get a million coins by doing something that isn't fun at all. I would rather it be buffed instead, but I would prefer a better way to make money instead.
Posted Jan 1, 19 · Last edited Jan 1, 19 by Zeraora
Owner
Vote Points:
+275
Legendary Trainer
LEVEL 10
Admins
When we originally created the new economy system, we took in mind PayDay with how grindy it was and took an average balance it generated in a 10 minute timespan. Then we took the amount you would make from 10 minutes in the ocean farming fossils, and also in a mine farming ores(assuming you're using a Harmony Pick). We then adjusted the prices of ores and fossils to create a basically equal substitute for PayDay for those that don't enjoy using PayDay. If this still isn't the case we can revisit it, but would need some samples

Mainly looking for ideas for long term players with tons of in-game cash. We have a lot of ideas for random new features that we'll add eventually like daily login bonuses, treasure hunts, raffles, etc. Just need some more ideas that could help get rid of some extra massive cash
747238_1.gif
Founder of PixelmonHarmony.com

Contact Me
Support | Personal | Business
Posted Jan 1, 19
Vote Points:
+334
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
Although this idea would make lots of rich players mad, adding a balance cap could be something that would force players to use their balances. For example putting making a 100mil cap would cause rich players to constantly buy things from ah to get rid of their balance which would make selling pokemon much more viable.

Another idea to keep the baltop competition would be to add taxes on players who have balances above a certain amount, this way players who play every weekend would not be affected and won't be mad that their balances are suddenly gone. Adding a 2% tax on players who have 100mil+ would make it so every week they would lose 2mil which would encourage them to use their balance, or grind harder to keep their baltop position.

On a completely different note, I really like the idea of players being able to create npc trainers as that would allow players to create their own gyms full of trainers which would only encourage players to invest in buying more battle pokemon. (Though I'm not sure how much memory this would take up or what exploits this would cause)
Posted Jan 1, 19
MiniMod
Vote Points:
+27
New Trainer
LEVEL 1
Online on Site
MiniMod
A way to make rich people spend the money... well tbh, the main way to do it would be to go talk to the people in the top bal and find out what they'd like. Also maybe do something with the ones that haven't been active in a long time. You do that already with their towns (which I also have some questions and concerns about but that's not what this is about), and you do also have the auction house thing that deletes unclaimed expired things.
You could maybe either just full on delete the money those people had or maybe throw it into a pot and do a raffle lottery type of thing.
Posted Jan 1, 19
Vote Points:
+334
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
By taking away money from people who haven't been active in a long time would only create more upset people rather than actually doing anything. People who don't play very often probably don't even have much money to begin with and in case those people do decide to visit maybe during school breaks etc. they would log onto nothing which would reduce the playerbase.

Also the reason why people are sitting with absurd amounts of money is because there is nothing that they want to spend their money on which would make asking what they wanted kinda pointless.
Posted Jan 1, 19
Vote Points:
+712
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
I like the idea of custom NPCs. If you could spend 10m or so at the shop to buy your own NPC, I would go bankrupt getting my hands on as many as possible.
This could also bring forth a whole new type of competition that could have a Pokemaster Challenge attached. Imagine a system like the Gyms where you fight through a player's group of hand-built NPCs. Once you beat the last one, you're awarded a pile of natural resources like gold blocks or something. They would be hard to pass, but very rewarding if you do. It would be set up like a hybridization of Gyms and Raids and only accept one challenge per person per day.
Posted Jan 2, 19
Vote Points:
+9
Occasional Trainer
LEVEL 5
Untagged users
I am one of those said players who has over 100mil, I've sat at about 120mil or so for a cool couple of months and I don't really have anything to spend it on (shocker I know). I get on semi-regularly to see if there is anything I might want (like a viably natured legend/mythical I don't have), but I have pretty much accumulated a vast majority of what can be considered valuable or useful. Even multiple of the same legendaries, for example... I have a modest, timid, calm, and adamant natured Kyogre. That goes for a majority of the legendaries that can be viable with multiple natures. I am sure that goes for some others, I am almost completely self sufficient as I own the means to breed my own mons with egg moves and sometimes MTs too. The state of the economy reflects the reality of what happens on 99% of minecraft servers that have some sort of economy. There will ALWAYS be a group of people who obtain a relatively large amount of wealth and will eventually have no reason to spend it on anything when they have achieved what is achievable. Even when new things for the rich come out there will be a portion of those who may not want what has come out, and the other part of the group will eventually obtain what was released and we are now back to square one. I personally don't like any idea that involves the rich losing their money for no reason. I see no reason to tax the rich just because they don't spend their money. It isn't like the money that is being taxed would go to anything beneficial towards the server. I, like many others, have obtained a majority of things needed to just be comfortable and not need to buy things. Also, things on AH are often overpriced or just crap that no one would ever buy in the first place. What is happening now is just inevitable. I know there isn't any suggestions within this post, but I felt I should give my input on the matter.
1408208375_eaglepride15-signature.png
Posted Jan 2, 19 · Last edited Jan 2, 19 by eaglepride...
List
Undo
Page
of 3
Alert Pixelmon Harmony
play.PixelmonHarmony.com
46 / 360
Today's Record: 114 players (16 hours ago)
Weekly Record: 131 players (Mon at 0:00)
Monthly Record: 131 players (Mon at 0:00)
NoticeNotices