of 3

A possible economic issue(?)

26 replies
Vote Points:
+111
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
I feel like Harmony's economy is unstable, I never got to experience how broken Chaos' economy was, but if it killed the whole server then that worries me.
Why I believe the economy's unstable:
1. The prices of all pokemon gradually decline as they become more common, a major case being Manaphy. Manaphy used to sell for ~450k-500k because it was a rather common legendary, albeit still a chance spawn, Manaphy now sells for ~250k. The legendary bird trio used to sell for ~200k, but now there's hardly any of them on /ah because they don't really sell anymore. The creation trio used to sell for ~600k-700k+ but as they've become more common, they've lost relevancy in the market, dropping in price and appearance.
2. Crate rotations manipulate the market SO heavily. Before the TurKey crate, the Forces of Nature (Landorus/Thundurus/Tornadus) sold for ~650k-800k, however they became so common because of the crate that their price dropped to 300k. A br Marshadow before halloween was the typical ~5m, now a br marshadow is ~3.5m. On the other side of the spectrum there's special skinned pokes that were in previous rotations which have (some) become so rare that nobody sells them because they've become a collector's item.
3. While the price of the Pokecoin is arguably deflating, they're still produced at a stagnant rate. Payday farming and selling items to shopkeepers will always give the same amount of money. Because there aren't many things that are worth buying from the shop, few players actually fill the void that was created when someone slapped a shuckle with payday or sold a star piece. The price conversion from Pokecoin to USD has stayed relatively the same, aside from a slight deflation in the pokecoin, at ~1m = $1. At maximum efficiency (Lvl 110, HH, AC) shuckle farming it's possible to gain ~5m/hr. This is the curse that ALL RPG economies suffer from; the players infinitely producing money until they complete all their goals, then amble on with nothing to do with their hoard of stuff.
4. The players with the most money seldom have something to spend it on if they're max rank. The only thing you can really do once you reach baltop is start forming collections, start building, or perhaps start building teams. The player's goals loosen as you gain money. If they wanted to collect every legendary, then they just get it alongside their rank. The most permanent thing to do once you reach that play-or-pay barrier is to do quests, but most players don't want to do quests because they're generally 85% waiting for something to spawn and 15% killing/catching that something.
5. The battle points shop doesn't have a very relative conversion with Pokecoin. You can get a prison bottle or meteorite for 32 bp, which sell for ~10k, a mega stone for 64 bp, which sells for 15k-35k, or a red/blue orb (or red chain) for 100bp, which sell for ~500k.

I've seen this in other pixelmon servers and I think it may help ours, but generally there's a way to sell or trade pokemon for other rewards. In the server I played you could sell pokemon to an NPC for Pokecoin, this created a pokemon void to help cap the prices on pixelmon. Because we don't have a system like this, the only time pixelmon are taken out of the economy are when they're released, or when the player who owns that pixelmon stops playing the server. This results in the demand for pixelmon shrinking more and more, and therefore deflating, but because there's no cap for how much that price can deflate, the market can become irrational, such as with the Forces of Nature.

We could also optimize the battle point shop better with respects to the auction house prices.

I don't have sure proof that anything's wrong with Harmony's current economy, but I just felt like it was changing, and change isn't always good.
Posted Dec 23, 18 · OP
List
Undo
Mod
Vote Points:
+239
Meager Trainer
LEVEL 4
Mod
While I do agree that the economy is is an... interesting state to say the least given the current situation with baltop, I don't think selling or trading Pokemon to NPCs would be a particularly efficient or effective method with the current systems in place.
As you've said, the value of coins could be said to be deflating given the abundance of them in the economy. NPCs would need to offer a respectable sum of money or worthwhile items such as IV scrolls to even be worth mentioning or users would ignore the system and continue to sell them to other players.
However, that would deflate the value of coins even more or potentially devalue scrolls and the like to levels similar to the aforementioned legendary trios.

That being said, we do need more uses for coins ingame; at the moment the only real use for higher sums of coins is to buy legendaries or trade coins for ranks or rank upgrades and the cost of upgrades becomes absolutely ludicrous after Legendary so it may not be worth it for the average player if they can even make it that far.

Personally, there are a few suggestions already floating around that I think could fill in this gap.
For instance, the concept of a Pokedoll crate is a pretty common and popular one. Few people tend to be happy when they get a doll out of a crate they spent real money on, so transferring them to a crate with a key that can be bought for coins would be a doll collectors heaven. There could even be exclusive/extremely rare dolls to incentivize it further.
Posted Dec 23, 18
Vote Points:
+111
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
I've also got an idea for a second set of ranks.
What if we had 2 ranks: Real money ranks (Elite/Master/etc.), but also had a rank you could progress with via ingame progress, for example once you reach a certain amount of playtime then it unlocks a new tier of ingame rank that you can purchase with coins. The only thing I'm uncertain of is how you'd incentivize this without providing an advantage that won't overshadow the paid ranks while still being unique and worthwhile, even for people with paid ranks. Perhaps dolls or a doll crate could somehow be implemented into this system.
Posted Dec 23, 18 · OP
Mod
Vote Points:
+239
Meager Trainer
LEVEL 4
Mod
Ranks obtainable ingame sounds like a whole different suggestion in my opinion because that's more so related to shrinking the gap between unranked players and ranked players unless the new ranks had new commands and whatnot introduced solely for them. While I don't speak for everyone I wouldn't mind commands like /feed, /hat, /heal, /ec, /pc etc etc. being obtainable by that method since they're mostly quality of life commands with no real tangible benefit, but if that's all they consisted of they'd be immediately rendered useless to ranked players who this type of suggestion should also be appealing to since they tend to hold significant wealth.
Posted Dec 23, 18
Vote Points:
+111
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
Maybe the unpaid ranks could provide new cosmetic items such as pokedisguises limited only to the pokecoin ranks. Alternatively there could be kits or shinies you get with certain ranks. Perhaps the pokecoin ranks could be nonlinear and you can choose what rank you want displayed by your name. Perhaps there could be achievement ranks you get for performing certain tasks (There should be none for mining or woodcutting since that damages the server world).

I feel like unpaid ranks could be elaborated on a lot and could be a nice addition to Harmony.
Posted Dec 23, 18 · OP
MiniMod
Vote Points:
+27
New Trainer
LEVEL 1
Online on Site
MiniMod
The NPC idea actually would be a neat idea, even if it's not for ones like legendaries, it would give players a way to make money and get rid of the pokemon they gathered through completing quests. Right now players just catch them and the wt or throw them away, some do throw them on ah for 0 coins though.

I do like the idea also of the crates. Also one thing I did notice is that the 2 holiday crates tend to flow really badly. The turkey crate and the thanksgiving crate were their own separate things, and one just gave you essentially a reroll key after you completed the quest. This holiday you do a winter quest and get a key to a not so good crate. I would suggest making the not so good crate (like the snoflakey crate) have the quest to get the key for the next good crate (the winter crate). Players won't be so disappointed if something like that is done.

Also another thing I noticed is the bp. It is a great concept but when you get battle points super easily saving up the points for them barely takes any effort. After about a week you can end up with at least 100 bp and end up buying really anything from the bp shop instead of the ah. Why pay the 100k or so for a z crystal in ah when you can buy them from the bp shop for only 64 bp which you will make back very easily
Posted Dec 24, 18
List
Undo
Vote Points:
+712
Common Trainer
LEVEL 2
Untagged users
If Pokedollar ranks were a thing, perhaps they could add in a command that instantly harvests all unclaimed blocks within 10 spaces of the player? Give that a 10 minute cooldown and it would definitely be useful for players who enjoy creating.
Alternatively, there could be a server-wide pool of money that people could donate into. This pool, once capped, would give a universal buff to all players connected during the end of the collection. It could forcibly spawn three legendaries at once, give a breeding time buff, hatch all eggs in players' teams, etc. This could help even out the baltop by incentivizing richer players to spend more money, since they have the most resources to capitalize off the benefits anyway.
Posted Dec 27, 18
List
Undo
Mod
Vote Points:
+239
Meager Trainer
LEVEL 4
Mod
Ooh, what if instead of a donation pool it was something with more involvement from the whole community rather than those who could afford to throw money away -- something like serverwide pokequests?

The goals could include something like donate 10m into the pool, defeat 50 boss pokemon, breed 150 eggs, catch 50 shinies, catch 10 legendaries, complete 10 legendary raids etc -- probably changing after each completion. Obviously I don't have exact statistics about activity on Harmony but ideally it would be achievable roughly every 8-12 hours so it wouldn't be an activity that's practically exclusive to NA players.

Serverwide quests would allow the integration of other Harmony features into quests too, such as Pokehunts and raids. Asking a player to complete 10 legendary raids for an individual pokequest would be far too much because it would artificially extend the duration of the quest, but asking the whole server to do it is another conversation entirely.

Upon completion it could initiate a ~5 minute timer so players can get to where they want to be if the reward were to involve legendary spawns. No non-br legendary off the top of my head is worth 10m and no individual player would be paying the full 10m nor completing all other requisites, so on an individual level it could be worth working towards; most players would passively work towards most of the goals anyways.

The rewards could be something like 1-2x random legendary spawns, 1.5x shiny spawn rate for 30-60m, 2x breed/hatch rate for 60m and perhaps a (nerfed) WT madness composed of mainly shinies and less legends.
Posted Dec 27, 18
List
Undo
Vote Points:
+115
New Trainer
LEVEL 1
Untagged users
The problem with that is: why would someone donate money for rewards 8 hours later that you risk not getting because you need to sleep/go to work. Another way in my opinion could be adding some special skins as "very expensive". For example, one of the specials each update/crate rotation could cost a flat 20m to buy from the server. Yet another way could be basically a command similar to phatch that costs money, it doesnt have a cooldown but costs like 50k to use. The economy on rpgs works because money gets consumed.
gO2ZvFL.png
Posted Dec 28, 18
Mod
Vote Points:
+239
Meager Trainer
LEVEL 4
Mod
There wouldn't be any incentive to put money towards the pool in the beginning; all of the incentive would be towards the end when it's one of if not the last goal to be completed which I still think could work out.
It could be implemented on a smaller scale to be doable more often too to prevent that risk, although a nerf in the rewards would probably be appropriate in that case since an additional legend spawning every hour or two via the system may hurt the economy more than helping it.

I don't think special skins for 20m would work; most special skins aren't in particularly high demand save for certain ones like Jirachi and I doubt most people would pay (or be able to, for that matter) 20m for one purely cosmetic change to a pokemon.
If there was the ability to change a pokemon into its special form for 1-2m I think that'd work significantly more, perhaps via a scroll purchasable through the cosmetics shop.
Posted Dec 29, 18
List
Undo
Page
of 3
Alert Pixelmon Harmony
play.PixelmonHarmony.com
45 / 360
Today's Record: 114 players (16 hours ago)
Weekly Record: 131 players (Mon at 0:00)
Monthly Record: 131 players (Mon at 0:00)
NoticeNotices